The Degree in Food Science and Technology at UNEATLANTICO provides a high quality, up-to-date study programme that covers the full spectrum of professional areas in which a food technologist may operate. Special emphasis is laid on the areas of food safety management, food processing, and innovation in the field of food design.
Recent advances in technology together with the making of constant scientific breakthroughs in the field of food nutrition and technology have generated a great demand for well-qualified professionals in this sector. Food science and technology students graduating from UNEATLANTICO will be able to pursue a career within Spain’s leading industrial sector: the Food and Beverage Industry. This sector closed 2012 with net sales of 86,298 million euros, a figure which represents 7.6% of the country’s GDP.
The Faculty of Health Sciences boasts modern, state-of-the-art facilities that will enable the student to fully develop the practical competences expected of a food technologist. These facilities include three fully-equipped laboratories: one dedicated to Biochemistry and Physiology, another to Food Science and Food Technology, and yet another specialising in Culinary Technology and Gastronomy.
Graduates in Food Science and Technology may opt to pursue a career in any of the following fields:
- Food analysis
- Management and quality control of agro-food industry processes, including waste and by-product handling
- Development and innovation in food processing and products
- Commercialisation, communication and marketing within the food industry
- Food processing
- Scientific and technical legal counsel to both the public and private sectors
- Teaching and research
- Freelance consultancy services
English, the key to your present and your future
In today's world, one of the essential tools for international communication and the key that opens opportunities to finding a job, both in Spain and abroad, is knowing English.
In our country, 80% of the job offers already require a high proficiency of this language, and in many cases, this requirement is more important than personal and professional qualifications.
If is for this reason that the European University of the Atlantic places special emphasis on undergraduate students attaining proficiency in the language. From the first year on, students are encouraged to register for extra-curricular classes in preparation for successfully completing study of their regular subjects taught in English throughout their degree.
This way, regardless of their initial proficiency level, the language program based on tutorial support, specialized materials, and small classes, allows students to later follow their dual language (English-Spanish) courses in sequence so that they finish their degree having acquired a bilingual skill set that is applicable in their profession.
Engage in your profession
UNEATLANTICO creates an authentic business environment
The campus of the Universidad Europea del Atlántico is designed so that students can practise their profession from the first year onwards. The University offers modern and fully-equipped facilities that simulate the authentic business environments that students will experience upon completing their degree. There are laboratories for the study of Physiology, Food Technology, Languages, Food Science and Biomechanics, while dedicated facilities are provided for projects involving computing, business, nutritional assistance, psychological guidance and counselling, and translation and interpretation. In addition, the University also offers computer labs, a library, as well as radio and television production and post-production studios.
Faculty motivate students to become involved in campus life and guide them towards creating projects and developing ideas that enhance their professional development from the the very first year of their studies. The learning model is not limited to covering a syllabus, but intends to guarantee a solid theoretical-practical education in which students feel fully engaged in their professional area.
Furthermore, the University has signed numerous internship agreements with a wide range of business entities that complement formal university education and facilitate the development of the cross-curricular skills needed to break into the job market.
A true indication of the importance that the University places on innovation and knowledge transfer is the establishment of the Centre for Research and Industrial Technology of Cantabria (CITICAN). CITICAN is a scientific foundation through which RDI (Research, Development and Innovation) from the academic institution is channelled.
Once the student has completed the program, they will obtain a Degree in Food Science and Technology as issued by the European University of the Atlantic.
|Molecular and Cell Biology||6|
|Anthropology and Psychology of Eating Behavior||6|
|Food Microbiology and Parasitology||6|
|Fundamentals of Chemical Engineering||6|
|Food Chemistry and Biochemistry||6|
|Food Science I||6|
|Culinary Techniques and Gastronomy||6|
|Basic Operations in Food Industry||6|
|Food Science II||6|
|Public Health and Community Nutrition||6|
|English Applied to Food Science and Technology||6|
|Food Law and Ethics||6|
|Production of Vegetable-Derived Raw Materials||6|
|Production of Animal-Derived Raw Materials||6|
|Hygiene, Food Safety and Quality||6|
|Economics and Business Management of the Food Industry||6|
|Advanced English Applied to Food Science and Technology I||6|
|Occupational Risk Management||6|
|Food Allergy and Intolerance||6|
|Processing of Food Products of Animal Origin||6|
|Hygiene for the Food Industry||6|
|Processed Food of Plant Origin||6|
|Advanced English Applied to Food Science and Technology II||6|
|Management of Restaurant and Mass Catering Services||6|
|Human Physiology II||6|
|Installations, Equipment and Machinery for the Agro-Food Industry||6|
|Food Innovation and Design||6|
|Optimizing Food Production and Valuation||6|
|Process and Product Quality Assurance||6|
|Strengthening of the Meat, Fish and Egg Production Sector||6|
|Nutrition and Dietetics||6|
|Strengthening of Sensory Analysis in Food||6|
|Strategic Management and Leadership Competencies||6|
|Concentration in the Diary Sector||6|
|Quality Management and Control of Processes and Product||6|
|Commercial Food Packaging and Shelf Life||6|
|Production Engineering in the Agro-Food Industry||6|
|Waste Management and By-Product Use||6|
|Strengthening of the Olive Oil Sector and Cereal-Derived Products||6|
This Degree is meant for people with clear professional and personal goals, who provide maturity and contribute to the mutual enrichment among their peers. It aims to provide a context in which applicants can develop a profitable long-term relationship with their peers, teachers, former students and the institution.
On a more general note, the applicants who want to study in this university must have the following traits:
- Leadership: the university is interested in applicants qualified for teamwork, with self-confidence, initiative, able to work under pressure, great communication skills and a high sense of ethics.
- Academic journey and professional motivation: the applicants must have finished their studies according to the Spanish university system within a reasonable period of time and satisfactory academic results. Previous work experience will also be considered a positive, same as any other complementary training that applicants may possess as relevant for the position.
- Languages: considering the international and global aspect that the university wishes to have, being proficient in English is a valued requirement during the admissions process. Furthermore, students whose native language is not Spanish and want admission into the university, must certify that they have the required level to take the subjects in Spanish. Any other language will be considered a distinguishing feature during the admissions process.
Furthermore, students whose native language is not Spanish and want admission into the university, must certify that they have the required level to take the subjects in Spanish. Any other language will be considered a distinguishing feature during the admissions process.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Global citizens.
- Leadership capacity.
- A prestigious international institution.
- A flexible study plan.
- Innovative learning methodology.
- Personalized education: small groups, tutoring system.
- Practical approach aimed at the job market: seminars, conferences, internships.
- Exchange programs with universities in other parts of the world.
- Comprehensive training.
Apart from the general features of the students of this university, students of Business Administration and Management must have the following characteristics as related to the Degree:
The following are guiding criteria that strictly follow the criteria of non-discrimination based on race, nationality, ideology, gender or religion. The following will be valued:
- Interest for culture, both your own and others.
- Intellectual curiosity and interest in reflecting about the value of political inter-cultural communication, discovering the background rules on how contemporary societies are organized and how international social agents interact and innovate in organizing and decision making.
- Ease with oral and written expression.
- International experience through travel and school trips.
- Understanding ethics as the main engine of human decisions.
The recommended academic profile reflects the admissions requirement as specified on this webpage. Furthermore, we are looking for an interdisciplinary profile that is inclusive and open to a variety of profiles, since we are aware of the assets this may offer.
This interdisciplinary, inclusive and open, profile refers to Secondary Education students who did not study a specific Bachelor’s field, since it is not a requirement for admission into the Degree. The diverse academic profile of students is considered instructive for the teaching-learning group.