The Degree in Agro-Food Engineering provides students with attractive career prospects given the growing demand for engineering graduates who have a specific educational background in this field. According to information published in 2012 by the FDE (Food Drink Europe), the agro-food sector is the leading employer in Europe, generating 15% of all jobs and has increased its turnover by 6.8% since 2009. The agro-food industries are becoming increasingly aware of the need to innovate and differentiate themselves from their competitors. To this end, they seek specialised engineers who are capable of meeting the challenges inherent to such a globalised, fast-changing market scenario
The study programme offered by UNEATLANTICO offers a sound knowledge base grounded in the field of science and engineering, and complemented by other subjects that engage the present-day needs of the agro-food industry: the production of raw materials; food engineering and technology; and economics, organisation and management. In addition, successful completion of the Degree in Agro-Food Engineering legally entitles graduates to work as Technical Agricultural Engineers when holding a specialisation in Agro-Food Industries.
The European University of the Atlantic boasts modern, state-of-the-art facilities that include technical laboratories (Biochemistry and Physiology, Food Science and Food Technology, and Culinary Technology). In these laboratories, students will be given the opportunity to fully develop the practical competences targeted in the study programme’s learning outcomes, and also undertake the kind of transversal projects that will have a high profile in their future career.
El alumno matriculado en el grado de Ingeniería de las Industrias Agrarias y Alimentarias tiene la posibilidad de cursar una doble titulación con Ingeniería de Organización Industrial, Ciencia y Tecnología de los Alimentos y Nutrición Humana y Dietética
Students graduating in Agro-Food Engineering may choose to work in any of the following areas:
- Management and control of the processes of production of food: production of oils and fats, processing of fruits and vegetables, cereals, meat and dairy products, fishery products, canned products, spices, fermented foods, energy drinks, sweeteners, novel foods, etc.
- Engineering and consultancy: design, construction, assembly, research,and technological development of plant, installations and process control systems. Process modelling and optimisation.
- Technical Direction: Technical management of companies and industries belonging to the food sector, as well as a specialist in commercialisation and marketing.
- Other sectors: accreditation and certification bodies, quality assurance application and monitoring, RDI (Research, Development and Innovation) centres, banking institutions, valuation and insurance, administration and education.
English, the key to your present and your future
In today's world, one of the essential tools for international communication and the key that opens opportunities to finding a job, both in Spain and abroad, is knowing English.
In our country, 80% of the job offers already require a high proficiency of this language, and in many cases, this requirement is more important than personal and professional qualifications.
If is for this reason that the European University of the Atlantic places special emphasis on undergraduate students attaining proficiency in the language. From the first year on, students are encouraged to register for extra-curricular classes in preparation for successfully completing study of their regular subjects taught in English throughout their degree.
This way, regardless of their initial proficiency level, the language program based on tutorial support, specialized materials, and small classes, allows students to later follow their dual language (English-Spanish) courses in sequence so that they finish their degree having acquired a bilingual skill set that is applicable in their profession.
Engage in your profession
UNEATLANTICO creates an authentic business environment
The campus of the Universidad Europea del Atlántico is designed so that students can practise their profession from the first year onwards. The University offers modern and fully-equipped facilities that simulate the authentic business environments that students will experience upon completing their degree. There are laboratories for the study of Physiology, Food Technology, Languages, Food Science and Biomechanics, while dedicated facilities are provided for projects involving computing, business, nutritional assistance, psychological guidance and counselling, and translation and interpretation. In addition, the University also offers computer labs, a library, as well as radio and television production and post-production studios.
Faculty motivate students to become involved in campus life and guide them towards creating projects and developing ideas that enhance their professional development from the the very first year of their studies. The learning model is not limited to covering a syllabus, but intends to guarantee a solid theoretical-practical education in which students feel fully engaged in their professional area.
Furthermore, the University has signed numerous internship agreements with a wide range of business entities that complement formal university education and facilitate the development of the cross-curricular skills needed to break into the job market.
A true indication of the importance that the University places on innovation and knowledge transfer is the establishment of the Centre for Research and Industrial Technology of Cantabria (CITICAN). CITICAN is a scientific foundation through which RDI (Research, Development and Innovation) from the academic institution is channelled.
Once the student has completed the program, they will obtain a Degree in Agro-Food Engineering as issued by the European University of the Atlantic.
|Information and Communication Technologies - ICTs||6|
|Microbiology and Parasitology||6|
|Topography and Cartography||6|
|Basic Operations in Food Industry||6|
|Food Science I||6|
|Electrical Engineering, Motors and Electrical Machines||6|
|Production Engineering in the Agro-Food Industry||6|
|Edaphology and Climatology||6|
|Production of Vegetable-Derived Raw Materials||6|
|Production of Animal-Derived Raw Materials||6|
|Economics and Business Management in the Food Industry||6|
|Food Quality and Safety Management||6|
|Technology of Agro-Food Industries||6|
|Elective (EL) I||6|
|English III (EL)||6|
|Occupational Risk Management (EL)||6|
|Food Chemistry and Biochemistry (EL)||6|
|Human Physiology (EL)||6|
|Deontology and Food Legislation||6|
|Processing of Food Products of Animal Origin||6|
|Engineering facilities, Equipment and Machinery of the Agro-Food||6|
|Processing of Plant Origin Food||6|
|English IV (EL)||6|
|Chemical Engineering (EL)||6|
|Management of Information Systems (EL)||6|
|Hygiene for the Food Industry (EL)||6|
|Optimising Food Production and Valuation||6|
|Projects and Environmental Impact Assessment||6|
|Food Innovation and Design (EL)||6|
|Energy Technology (EL)||6|
|Sensory Analysis of Food (EL)||6|
|Waste and By-Product Management||6|
|Food Science II (EL)||6|
|Commercial Food Packaging and Shelf Life (EL)||6|
|Corporate Social Responsibility (EL)||6|
This Degree is meant for people with clear professional and personal goals, who provide maturity and contribute to the mutual enrichment among their peers. It aims to provide a context in which applicants can develop a profitable long-term relationship with their peers, teachers, former students and the institution.
On a more general note, the applicants who want to study in this university must have the following traits:
- Leadership: the university is interested in applicants qualified for teamwork, with self-confidence, initiative, able to work under pressure, great communication skills and a high sense of ethics.
- Academic journey and professional motivation: the applicants must have finished their studies according to the Spanish university system within a reasonable period of time and satisfactory academic results. Previous work experience will also be considered a positive, same as any other complementary training that applicants may possess as relevant for the position.
- Languages: considering the international and global aspect that the university wishes to have, being proficient in English is a valued requirement during the admissions process. Furthermore, students whose native language is not Spanish and want admission into the university, must certify that they have the required level to take the subjects in Spanish. Any other language will be considered a distinguishing feature during the admissions process.
Furthermore, students whose native language is not Spanish and want admission into the university, must certify that they have the required level to take the subjects in Spanish. Any other language will be considered a distinguishing feature during the admissions process.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Global citizens.
- Leadership capacity.
- A prestigious international institution.
- A flexible study plan.
- Innovative learning methodology.
- Personalized education: small groups, tutoring system.
- Practical approach aimed at the job market: seminars, conferences, internships.
- Exchange programs with universities in other parts of the world.
- Comprehensive training.
Apart from the general features of the students of this university, students of Business Administration and Management must have the following characteristics as related to the Degree:
The following are guiding criteria that strictly follow the criteria of non-discrimination based on race, nationality, ideology, gender or religion. The following will be valued:
- Interest for culture, both your own and others.
- Intellectual curiosity and interest in reflecting about the value of political inter-cultural communication, discovering the background rules on how contemporary societies are organized and how international social agents interact and innovate in organizing and decision making.
- Ease with oral and written expression.
- International experience through travel and school trips.
- Understanding ethics as the main engine of human decisions.
The recommended academic profile reflects the admissions requirement as specified on this webpage. Furthermore, we are looking for an interdisciplinary profile that is inclusive and open to a variety of profiles, since we are aware of the assets this may offer.
This interdisciplinary, inclusive and open, profile refers to Secondary Education students who did not study a specific Bachelor’s field, since it is not a requirement for admission into the Degree. The diverse academic profile of students is considered instructive for the teaching-learning group.